Monday, April 8, 2013

Moose Meat Pork Butt Report, or,
A Stroll Down The Meat Aisle

If one is buying & eating frozen moose lasagna at an IKEA in Belgium, traces of pork in the lasagna may not be one's greatest problem.
Moose meat is common in Sweden though it's not typically used in lasagna.
IKEA has previously recalled meatballs and other meat products sold in its cafeterias and frozen foods sections after tests showed they contained traces of horse meat.
The Swedish furniture giant is one of many European companies caught up in a scandal over mislabeled meat in frozen food products.
Also, new names for the other white meat.

And beef.
A stroll down the meat aisle had become baffling for shoppers looking for a steak. When they would see packages of "butler steak" or "beef shoulder top blade steak, boneless, flat iron" - they would walk away with an empty cart, said Trevor Amen, director of market intelligence for the Beef Checkoff Program.

7 comments:

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I'm pretty omnivorous, I've eaten horse meat, but I almost never buy ground meat. Even though I'll eat just about anything, I want to know what I'm eating.

Also, new names for the other white meat.

Something tells me that renaming a pork chop a porterhouse chop will be accompanied by a 300% price increase.

Weird Dave said...

Mmmmmmm..Moose meat.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Pork chops are something I buy on sale. Because they should be!
~

mikey said...

I keep some ground beef in the freezer to make sloppy joes. Not terribly concerned about the composition of the alleged "beef" because, hello, SLOPPY JOES...

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Here I figured this would be a post about Dead Thatcher.

Weird Dave said...

The zombie wins.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

FINALLY