![]() |
| Hot, humid hellhole. |
Sharia Law & Holocaust denial:I Taught a Short Story. My College Fired Me For It.
Academic censorship is very real.
Fuck censorship & damn all these fascist bastards for Jesus to hell!I know all about restrictions. I’ve been a U.S. citizen for 18 years. But where I grew up in the Middle East, I witnessed a different intrusion of politics in the classroom. This was Dubai in the early 80s. Before the ski resorts and island hotels and excess.Once every school year, a representative from the Ministry of Education would come to class, distribute black markers, and ask us to open our atlases. We were shown where, on the map, to locate Israel. We were to use the markers to strike out the word. Next, the same directive for the dictionary. In our history book, pages covering parts of WWII were pasted together. The chronology went from Mein Kampf to reparations. A bunch of us attempted to “steam” the pages open over a saucepan of simmering water and made a pulpy, scalding mess. Someone needed ointment.
When we asked our teacher about the missing content, she quietly said, “I will lose my job if I speak about it.” Decades later, I would lose mine for making a different choice.

No comments:
Post a Comment