Sunday, October 26, 2014

Annals Of Obliviousness

Twelve days ago I made a big dealphoto essay of a new modem.
"Modem." It is to laugh, & then laugh some more, as it took 12 days for Brainiac here to realize that's no mere modem, but a "wireless gateway"! Oh, I saw the little tornado/come of death dealies marked "2.4GHz" & "5Ghz", but it wasn't until today after redecorating (for lack of a less pretentious word) & then staring at it for a while in its new spot that it sank into the extra-dense Bouffant skull that there was no purpose to those little dealies unless wirelessness was going on inside the "modem" w/o benefit of a separate router.
The Quik E-Z Connect Moron Guide was next to useless, apparently assuming the moron was already using a "wireless gateway". But after waiting 25 mins. for the initial set-up disc that went unmentioned in the Imbeciles' Guide to extract itself (Snack time!) & dicking about for an hr.+ after that, everything works wirelessly, except now it runs as slowly as molasses in some cold month, even wired to the fucking gateway w/ the WiFi off. Gawddam fuck shit piss.

4 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I had the same exact problem with my recent (July) conversion to wireless.

Eventually what happened is I spent an hour on the phone with a UVerse technician. There is an autoconnect feature your laptop will use to connect.

Eventually, it turned out I needed to set it to channel 8 here. In spite of the fact that 'auto' worked just fine in W.V. and at my sister's house with their wireless.

And why is that? Because here in Columbus, I live in a multifamily apartment building and a bunch of other people are also using wireless channels.

I could find where I wrote down how to change them, one by one, and check the speeds, if you like. It's not completely like falling off a log until you're used to it. And I've already forgotten how to do it.
~

mikey said...

Every time I set up a WiFi router or access point I just by default switch to channel 11. Always a low traffic solution...

Weird Dave said...

The fear of clowns is known as coulrophobia.

M. Bouffant said...

Electrons Editor:
Having visited the Arris set-your-gateway page several times yesterday I remembered where & how to re-channel. (Sure are a lotta Wi-fi nets in this bldg. for a buncha poor people. Guess we aren't really poor, just lazy!!)

And it works jes' fine now. Thanks, gentlemen.

P.S.: More clowns. And what about the ones in Bakersfield?