| Does not want to be grounded. |
Tuesday, July 7, 2026
Knew It
by
M. Bouffant
at
11:49
It did arrive a day earlier than estimated, a die-cast PBY5-A Catalina. What a Navy seaplane w/ early WWII insignia is doing over an Army camp close to 150 miles from the Pacific & around 125 miles from the Gulf of California in the mid-'50s is anybody's guess; maybe it's a Twilight Zone episode.Not bad for US$17.75. (Just saw the same model for $39.99. And I didn't even compare prices. Hah!) I do resent those pirate bastards at FedEx getting $8.99 for shipping. (And Jesus, next time leave it at the door to the bunker, not the mail boxes, & knock before you run away.)No tax, which I think violates California law. Ah. Only if your operation moves more than $500,000 anually in Calif. I dunno; populous state full of chumps & suckers. Maybe someone should look into it.There are few HO scale aircraft available; this is 1/144th scale & should look better flying from the convenient hook, used on the prototype to lift it from or lower it to the water.
Not balanced for flight either, so my story is it's struggling taking off from a short field, heavily laden w/ poison gas or an H-Bomb, especially as the landing gear is still down. May have mentioned that the Rice area was considered for the Trinity test. Pretty damn sure something nefarious is going on at Camp Patton.Now I have to figure how to attach it securely to the ceiling.
Provenance: Does Macau/Bangladesh mean no Trump tariffs, or has this been on a shelf for yrs.?
The actual item.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Incorporating that into the layout? Would be cool!
From the Aviation Editor:
I suspect I'm going to hang it from a clear plastic something mounted on top of the blinds rather than trying to hang it from the ceiling.
Post a Comment