Sunday, June 1, 2014

This Is The End ...

Another local institution, World Book & News, gone a wk. ago. Sez here 20 yrs. at that location, but the space (there's more inside) has been a newsstand since this reporter dragged his ass to Southern Calif. 41 yrs. ago, whether it was "World Book & News" or not. My medieval obsession w/ text led me there hundreds of times over the yrs.

Spotted here:
But not special enough that I shopped there in the last twenty years or so; not since the Internet became what it is. I guess that's why it's closing.
A-yup. I can only add that when special-interest magazines (No, not smut. I have an imagination.) started going for more than an hr.'s wage-slavery there was just no reason, esp. if there was but one couple-thousand-words (or less) article (possibly w/ pictures) that was of actual interest in the rag.

So whatever, but I do wonder what will become of "Hollywood character" Diz. (Saw her on the bus a few mos. ago.) And what happened to all the books & mags? No going out of business sale?

No comments: