Monday, February 22, 2010

A $Million Here, A $Million There, Pretty Soon It Starts To Add Up

(AP) A rare copy of the first comic book featuring Superman sold for $1 million on Monday morning, smashing a record set just last year.

The book is Action Comics No. 1, published in 1938 & widely considered the Holy Grail of comic books.

It features Superman lifting a car on its cover and originally cost 10 cents.

The comic was sold by a private seller to a private buyer, neither of whom released their names, in a sale conducted by the auction site ComicConnect.com.

The previous comic book record was set last year when $317,000 was paid for another Action Comics No. 1 issue.

This copy fetched a much higher price because it's in better condition.

4 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

If I sold a comic book for 1$ million today, I can assure you my sad but respectful letter of resignation would be appearing at the workplace tomorrow (as opposed to meself).
~

Substance McGravitas said...

Comics stayed so cheap for so long. 10 cents in 1938 grew to, what, 12 cents by the early sixties?

Truly a paradise for the literati. And of course now they're free...

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

my sad but respectful letter of resignation

When I quit my corporate job after five years in the cube-farm, it was exactly like a breakup. I started my two-weeks notice spiel to my manager with, "Janet, it's just not working out."

M. Bouffant said...

Mr. Know-It-All Types:

The 64-pager of the '30s & '40s was down to 32 pp., only 22 of them story, by those mythical early '60s. Still not a terrible deal, & helpful in learning one's "twelve times" tables.

Free now, & worth every penny, too.

Best way to leave corp. employ is to advise a manager, "I've gotta get out of this place before I kill somebody." They'll have a check w/ your vacation pay ready before you know what the fuck you said.