Thursday, April 20, 2017

Morbidity & Other Crime Report

Some I'd forgotten, some new to me. Enjoy!

The Locations of L.A.’s 100 Most Memorable Crimes by Neighborhood

The neighborhoods, streets, and addresses that forever hold
some of the city’s darkest moments

A classic.

Bakersfield

The Onion Field Murder
Two thugs kidnapped the police officers who pulled them over in Hollywood and drove to an onion field in Bakersfield, where they killed one officer while the other escaped. The LAPD formally changed its procedures as a result of what to do (and not to do) when approaching a vehicle. [Sic. Are there no more editors? — M.B.]
Year: 1963
Location: Field off Route 99
Read about it: 
In the Los Angeles TimesKCET, and KPCC
Book: 
The Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh
Watch:
The James Woods/Ted Danson movie The Onion Field, and the documentary about the film Ring of Truth
Not specified is the Hollywood location where Officers Ian Campbell and Karl Hettinger were bushwacked, in front of the First Presbyterian Church of Hollywood on Gower. Used to live just north of it, & walked by hundreds of times,
often thinking of the grim events.

1 comment:

Feline Mama said...

Thanks for this, M. WOW!! I don't think "enjoy" is the right verb, but, I kinda did. Let's say I was "entertained"?
More, please. I was thinking back to "In Cold Blood", but remembered it was in Kansas, I believe.