Monday, October 1, 2012

Voting Is For Losers

As uncompromising purity types whine about having to choose between the lesser (or not) of two evils in the upcoming electoral distraction, the final clause of this quote from one-time Chinese Communist Party Chairman Mao Zedong has been more & more in our mind.
A revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery. It cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentle, so temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous. A revolution is an insurrection, an act of violence by which one class overthrows another. Every Communist must grasp the truth: Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.
Live it, or live w/ it!

Quote lifted from DOC40, who added this visual aid:
A bolt-action rifle may not be the weapon of choice today.

3 comments:

Weird Dave said...

One of the big problems I see with armed insurrection:

If I muster ten they will muster 100.

If I muster 100 they will muster 1,000.

If I muster 1,000 they will muster 10,000.

If I, by some miracle, muster 10,000 they will muster 100,000.

And that does not even begin to cover how much better armed than I they are.

Until I can get the security forces onto my side the idea of fighting them is, at best, a fantasy.

Which does not mean that the quote is wrong. Political power does grow out of the barrel of a gun. It's just that they have so many more guns.

M. Bouffant said...

If Only Editor:
Until I can get the security forces onto my side the idea of fighting them is, at best, a fantasy.
Visual aid.

Weird Dave said...

Visual aid.

Now that is political power.