Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Notes From The Wild Blue Yonder

The F-117 has given up its stealthy ghost. The $45 million a shot aircraft has been replaced by the we forget how much per unit F-22 Raptor. And, the USAF is being called on the carpet by DefSec Gates. Apparently the cowards in the AF (You know, they like to drop bombs on civilians from as far away as possible, preferably in nations w/o any serious air defense capabilities.) are all scared because they're being downsized. Oddly enough, they've resisted increasing their Predator fleet, which brings the concept of video game war to a new high. The baby-killers who fly the predators from somewhere in Nevada, touching their joysticks all day long, are in no physical danger whatsoever, & get to go home & play w/ their offspring at the end of the murder shift, even as parents of those killed on the other side of the world weep over their children's bodies.

5 comments:

Glennis said...

Hey, M. Bouffant - I note you link to Jenny Lens.

I am workign on a project about researching the history of rock and roll in Snata Monica, and I learned of Jenny because she took some great photos of the Clash at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium.

I see from your profile you were a rocker - or maybe a kinda rocker, like I was.

did you ever go see shows at the Santa Monica Civic? Do you remember what it was like, do you have stories?

I was not in LA during those glory years, my 70's rock palaces were in NY and NJ, and my 80's rock palaces were in Seattle, like the Paramount Northwest. But I am now learning about the Civic, and the LA scene and I would love to hear stories.

Glennis in Topang - or g from sadly no

Larry Harmon said...

Yeah, Bouff, tell her about fucking up your hand hitting an electric meter in front of the Starwood after a Germs show (it was a Germs show, wasn't it?)
P.

M. Bouffant said...

Sez Ed:

Never went to the S. M. Civic, weren't many punk type gigs there, w/ the exception of the URGH! A Music War concert flick that was shot there.

Really wasn't much hot rockin' action in S. M. itself during my day. All around, in Venice, even West L. A., yes.

First gig I saw was Steppenwolf at the Eagles Auditorium in Seattle, 1968. But that doesn't help you much.

Just e-mail Jenny, I know her only through the tubes, but she e-mailed me after I linked to her & was very nice & friendly over the net. (Big deal, so am I.) You might also try Alice Bag or "punk turns 30" on my roll. 'Fraid most of my creepy acquaintances & I were pretty much stuck in Hollywood or the very southern Valley during our salad days. And my semi-encyclopedic knowledge of L. A. music whatnot has no specific recollection of anything ever happening in Santa Monica. Doesn't mean nothing happened, but...

Anyhoo...

Later, "Chas."

Larry Harmon said...

I went to a gig at the Santa Monica Civic while they were shooting "Urgh! A Music War" but the gig was so unmemorable that I don't recall who I saw. The S.M. police took things in hand after the gig was over, sweeping through the area in front of the auditorium in a line with vicious-looking dogs to clear the punks out of the area and send them back to Oki Dogs where they belonged.
P.

M. Bouffant said...

Sez Ed:

Yeah, those were all crummy bands, as we recall, 'cept mebbe X. (If they were in it.)

Punks get out!! Fuckin' now!! That may sum up the S. M. R&R experience.