Thursday, May 10, 2007

Today's Birthdays

If memory serves (& it does sometimes) today (10 May) is the natal anniversary of both Richard Meltzer, my close personal acquaintance & literary influence (yes, he's the greatest living American writer, & since the dead ones don't matter anyone, he is de facto #1 on the lit list) & the late John Carlo "Buzz" Cruze, close personal friend, swell musician, not so hot a motorcyclist, and the kind of disturbed individual we're still babbling about almost 21 years after his death. Course memory may not serve, I may be wrong on both, but a swell day is wished to all the living, and we'll remember the dead as long as we can. (Couldn't come up w/ a way to get out of this one w/o serious sap factor, sorry.)

2 comments:

Larry Harmon said...

I thought that you said that Pynchon was the greatest living American writer. I know he's alive, I saw him on the Simpsons!

M. Bouffant said...

Well, y'know, consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds, & it's not as if I've read anything either has written in the last decade or so. I bet DeLillo's good too, & some day I'll read that remaindered hardback Underground that's been sitting in a bookcase for six or seven years. Best somewhat commercial, paperbacks available @ R&R Ralphs in the mid-seventies scribbler, vs. best non-reclusive non-mass market living American writer?
It's literary apples & oranges. Hey, the more specific you get the more space you can fill. (That is the point here, isn't it?)